Some of the links below are affiliate links meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you purchase something using the link. Read the full disclaimer policy here.,
This is my second post during Blogtober19. I am on a roll here!
Here are some random facts so you can know more about me!
- I am originally from Alabama.
- My parents gave me the name Dominique at birth but immediately started calling me Nikki. I was one of the first to use the two kks in the spelling. LOL
- I have a medical degree from Vanderbilt University (Anchor Down!)
- I have an MBA from the University of Alabama (Roll Tide!)
- I love football — both college and pro (Go Pack Go!). I will admit it is getting harder to watch as I get older. I’m glad my son didn’t play after age 7.
- When I was a child, I wanted to be a writer. I changed my mind at age 11 and went full steam ahead to become a doctor. I have gone full circle back to writing.
- I used to be a clothes horse but once I had kids, I stopped most of my shopping sprees unless I have something to buy for.
- I have a daughter with Down Syndrome.
- My favorite place that I have lived in is Atlanta.
- I had a kidney transplant on December 26, 2017.
- I found my donor – an amazing woman who is now my sister –on Facebook. I didn’t know her before she answered my post.
- Over the last 4 months, I lost 15 lbs of the weight I gained after my transplant surgery.
- I still have my Facebook page and blog that I used to look for a donor. I post about other people who are looking for a kidney. (Check it out and share to help!)
- I’m an only child. However, I do have quite a few of sisters-in-law (7)!
- My father lives with our family here in Texas now. Talk about culture shock!
- I am 5’11”. My 17-year-old son is now 6’2” and the doctor told him his growth plates are still open… I think it’s weird to look up at him.
- My feet are probably too small for my body. I wear a women’s size 9 in most shoes. Note the height. No wonder I’m clumsy!
- As a teen, I played alto saxophone, piano, and the bassoon. The bassoon was not my choice, but my band director gave it to me because I had long fingers.
- I don’t have many decorating skills. I don’t think I evolved much beyond college-level décor. But I’m going to put more effort into it because we’re going to be redoing a lot of things in our house next year.
- My choice of exercise is walking but I’m trying to get back into yoga.
- My favorite color is black even though it should be pink and green because of my sorority.
- I do like to eat and cook, but I am feeling lazy right now.
- I tried to grow a garden in our backyard, but the neighborhood creatures and I went to war over my vegetables. I lost.
- I’m allergic to seafood. Exactly what seafood I am not sure. Who needs to know at this point? All are off-limits!
- During medical school, I found out I was allergic to latex. Students had to use less-expensive latex gloves for surgery or patient care. I needed the expensive ones. One attending didn’t believe me but after he saw the welts and hives racing up my arm from the latex, he became a believer and an evangelist!
- I wore contact lenses until after my second child was born. My eyes are often too dry to make it work now. As an ophthalmologist, it’s sad! LOL
- I seriously considered taking time off from school to see if I could become a model. Glad I didn’t – I probably wouldn’t have gone back.
- My parents used to clear the table at breakfast because I would read anything on the table including the cereal box!
- I love love, love murder mystery and thriller novels. I also love procedurals on TV.
- I am a fan of the airport novel. I plan to write a few.
- I have created a lot of journals on Amazon, but I haven’t promoted them much. That is one of my goals for this quarter.
- I danced from childhood until college. I was on my high school dance team and helped start the dance team at my college in Birmingham. I never played basketball though.
- I love to travel although I haven’t done much in the past.
- A good friend’s mother convinced a friend and me to go to a Christmas ski club party in Atlanta (I didn’t ski) to meet a man. My future husband walked up to me and asked me if I knew how to salsa. I wanted to learn, and we have been together ever since.
- I know a little about a lot of things and have a pretty decent vocabulary. I spell for crap though – spellcheck is my friend!
- I want a house on an island. I watch the shows on HGTV about people moving to Hawaii, the Caribbean, or Mexico. I worry about having doctors nearby so that may affect what we do.
- I have been called “Saint Nikki” by different people during different phases of my life. I try to do the right thing most of the time (not always successful though!)
- My husband and I would like to adopt a child, but we may be running out of time. We’ll see.
Whew! That was rather fun. It’s not common that I talk about me. I have to get better at that since this blog is going to be more about me.
I hope you enjoyed it. Tell me something about yourself in the comments!
Loving Life — The Reboot!