Some of the links below are affiliate links meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you purchase something using the link. Read the full disclaimer policy here.,
This is Day 3 of the 30 Thankful Days Challenge. If you haven’t downloaded the free companion journal, here is the link.
Wherever you are right now, take a look around.
Are you someplace out in the open like a busy coffee shop? Maybe you’re traveling on public transportation to or from work.
Even if you’re holed up at home, think of the last time you stepped out of the house. Maybe it was a trip to the grocery store. Perhaps you dropped the kids off for an activity or to see a friend.
When you look around your current location or where you were the last time you were out, what do you see? Smiling faces? The occasional glance of a friendly and/or sympathetic pair of eyes?
Offering a Helping Hand
What happened when you were out? Did someone take time out of their busy day to help you? Were you offered a cheerful hello? Did someone smile at your joke or open a door for you to pass through?
Think about being out in the world of busy people. What do you think would happen if there was an emergency situation? Suppose someone became ill or there was an accident? More likely than not, you would quickly find that people were ready and willing to come to your aid.
You, too, would be likely to offer help and assistance. Wouldn’t you?
Although the hustle and bustle of life can sometimes leave us feeling disconnected, like we’re just going through the motions, it’s just perception and not the truth.
The truth is that by and large, people do still care. We see it on the news each day, something happens and some kind soul steps in to help, offer support, say kind words. For every tragedy or thoughtless act, you probably have 100 or more people who would step in to add something positive or lend a hand.
A spirit of humanity and brotherly and sisterly love is ever-present. Humans ultimately do care about one another. It’s important to remember this during these troubling times.
Day 3 JOURNAL EXERCISE: Give thanks for the caring spirit of others.
Today, think of five different episodes in your life this week where people showed that they care. What did they do or say that indicated their kindness or generosity?
If you don’t have a ready memory of this, go back in your mind to the past week’s activities.
- Did you go to a store? What happened while you were there?
- If you have children, did you have an opportunity to speak to your child’s teacher this week? What did he or she say or do that indicated that this person cares about your child and his or her future education?
- Did you speak with someone on the phone who had to help you solve a problem? What did they do or say that went above and beyond, to communicate their human decency and wish to help?
- What about coworkers? Who at your work showed you that they care this week? What did they do or say to let you know that they’re on your team?
- What about the news headlines? Was there a glimmer of kindness in the face of adversity? Did you read about people helping people? The goodness of humans is truly an extraordinary thing.
Come up with a total of 8 examples of good people doing good for others.
Did this exercise help you give thanks for the kindness of humans? I hope so!
This is the free Workbook that goes along with the posts that you can download. It’s a perfect time to look at all the things we should be grateful for. Click here for the free accompanying journal.
Thankful Days Series
Loving Life — The Reboot!
Gratitude Journal Available on Amazon
- 120 lined pages
- Lovely gratitude graphics on each page
- 6×9 in size
- Makes a great gift