Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Some of the links below are affiliate links meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you purchase something using the link. Read the full disclaimer policy here.
At my home as a kid, cabbage was common but not in a cabbage roll. If I had tried it some other way, I might have grown up as more of a cabbage fan!
This recipe allows for the substitution of many different types of ground meat — beef, turkey, chicken, or pork. However, you may be able to tweak the filling if you don’t want to include meat. If you do, let me know how that goes!
Slow-Cooker Stuffed Cabbage in Tomato Sauce
- slow cooker
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1/2 C converted long grain rice
- 1 T unsalted butter
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 large egg well beaten
- 1 t dried savory
- 3/4 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- 1 15 oz. can Italian tomatoes
- 2 T light brown sugar
- 2 T lemon juice
- Fill a large pot three-quarters full of water and lightly salt. Place the pan over high heat and bring the water to a brisk boil. Add the cabbage, cover the pot and cook until the outer layers of the cabbage peel off easily. Remove the tender leaves and pick out 10 of the largest leaves. Save the remaining cabbage for another use. Remove the thick ribs in the center of each leaf.
- Fill a saucepan three-quarters full of water and lightly salt. Place the pan over high heat and bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the rice. Cook for 5 minutes then drain and rinse under cold water and drain well again.
- Melt the butter in a skillet placed over medium heat. Stir in the onion and cook 5 minutes, stirring often, until the onion is soft. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Place the onion and garlic into a mixing bowl. Stir in the rice. Add the ground beef, egg, savory, salt and pepper, and mix until well blended.
- Spread 1/3 C of the filling into the center of each cabbage leaf. Fold the sides of the leaves over the filling and roll up the cabbage. Place the cabbage rolls, seam side down, into the crockpot.
- In a mixing bowl stir together the tomatoes with their juice, brown sugar and lemon juice. Pour the mixture over the cabbage in the crockpot. Cover and cook on low 6 hours or until the cabbage is fork-tender.
- Makes 5 servings
baked in the oven. You may substitute any type of ground meat for the beef. You may also add
frozen corn and shredded cheese is you like. Just stir them into the meat mixture before filling
If you want the recipes from this month in your mailbox, sign up here: Slow Cooker Challenge
Loving Life — The Reboot!