Today is Homemade Soup Day!
Do you make a lot of homemade soup? It’s the perfect time for a hearty, warm soup.
I enjoy making soup — one-pot wonders. After some prep work, you can put everything in one pot and walk away.
Serving is almost as simple. Some bread, some salad, and the soup — easy peasy.
My son is rather picky so finding dishes that he appreciates can be difficult. The bacon puts this one over the top for him!
Chunky Bacon Potato Soup
- 8 oz. thick-cut bacon diced
- ½ small red onion diced
- 2 large celery stalks diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 4 c. chicken broth preferably organic, divided
- 1½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 1 T. fresh rosemary leaves chopped
- 2 T. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb. red potatoes cut into chunks
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 c. kale chopped, tough stems discarded
- 8 oz. cream cheese cut into small chunks
- Add bacon to a large Dutch oven or soup pot set over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until crispy, approximately 3-4 minutes. Transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and blot off excess grease. Set aside.
- Carefully drain and discard all but 1 tablespoon of remaining bacon grease from pot.
- Add red onion, celery, and carrots, and sauté until the vegetables soften and develop a bit of color, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of chicken broth to pan and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom with a spatula. Add remaining broth, chicken, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, and red potatoes. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Increase heat to high. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from heat and discard bay leaves. Add chopped kale and cream cheese and stir until the kale is wilted and the cheese is melted, approximately 2-3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired, before serving. Enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe? Let me know how it went in the comments!
Loving Life — The Reboot!