Some of the links below are affiliate links meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you purchase something using the link. Read the full disclaimer policy here.,
April is National Pecan Month.
However, on top of that, April 14th in National Pecan Day. Pecans everywhere!
I have roasted my two pounds of pecans to put in the freezer for later snacking. What are you doing to celebrate? LOL
Ironically, we have a pecan tree in our front yard. How long did it take me to realize that? I am embarrassed to say years. The squirrels made short work of them each year and I only saw a few nuts on the ground each year. A tree trimmer informed me about what we had in the front yard — I felt silly!
I have been buying pecans when I could have battled the squirrels for them! LOL I haven’t come up with a game plan yet…
Today’s recipe is sweet and savory spiced pecans. Sweet and savory go together so well. And roasted pecans — they get a buttery texture when roasted. Yum!
Sweet & Savory Spiced Pecans
- rimmed baking sheet
- 1 T. fresh rosemary leaves finely chopped
- 2 t. ground cinnamon
- 1 t. ground cardamom
- ¾ t. allspice
- ½ t. ground cloves
- ¼ t. ground cayenne
- ½ t. fine sea salt
- ¼ t. black pepper
- ¼ c. unsalted butter
- 1/3 c. honey preferably local
- 2 T. maple syrup
- 4 c. whole pecans
- ¼ c. raw cane or other large grain sugar for dusting
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 350°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat™ baking mat. Set aside.
- Combine rosemary, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, cloves, cayenne, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Add butter to a small skillet set over medium heat.
- When the butter is mostly melted, add the honey and maple syrup and stir to combine. Heat for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place pecans in a large bowl and pour the melted butter mixture on top.
- Add the spice mixture and stir until the pecans are completely coated in both.
- Transfer the coated pecans to the prepared baking sheet and spread it into a thin, single layer without overcrowding.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, giving the pecans a good stir after 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle half the coarse sugar on top and stir to combine.
- Repeat with the remaining sugar and cool completely. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks. Enjoy!
Enjoy your sweet and savory spiced pecans!
More Recipes for National Pecan Month
Loving Life — The Reboot!