Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Some of the links below are affiliate links meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you purchase something using the link. Read the full disclaimer policy here.
I can’t believe it is already August!
In keeping with all of the ice-cream specific days during the summer, today is National Ice Cream Sandwich Day. It’s amazing how many wonderful ways there are to enjoy ice cream!
Today’s tribute to this day is a Kid-friendly recipe for Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches.
This quick and easy “semi-homemade” recipe is perfect for younger children who like to help out in the kitchen. For best results, use square or rectangle waffles* (vs. round) for this recipe (and plenty of sprinkles for decorating!)
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled, as needed.
Kid-Friendly Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Baking Sheet
- Ice Cream Scoop
- 1 qt. vanilla bean ice cream
- 4 square waffles cut into 8 rectangles (or 8 Eggo® Wafflers)
Optional topping ideas:
- Chocolate sauce
- Chopped nuts
- Pre-heat oven to 350ºF and arrange the waffles on a large, rimmed baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, flipping the waffles halfway through. Once waffles are golden brown, remove the baking sheet from the oven and set aside to cool for several minutes.
- Add a scoop of ice cream to four of the waffles and spread into an even layer. Top each with one of the remaining toasted waffles to create a “sandwich.”
- Place the ice cream sandwiches back on the baking tray and place it in the freeze for 30 minutes to firm up. Remove baking sheet from freezer and top with chocolate sauce, sprinkles, and/or chopped nuts, if desired, right before serving. Enjoy!
You can make your own waffles to use in this ice cream sandwich recipe if you like. And if you want to make these a bit more “adult”, you can pick a waffle recipe with a more adult flavor profile like these Honey and Pecan Waffles. Either way, select your favorite waffle recipe and go!
*FYI: Eggo® “Wafflers” are featured in the Waffle Ice Cream Sandwich images.
Other Ice Cream Recipes
Loving Life — The Reboot!