Some of the links below are affiliate links meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you purchase something using the link. Read the full disclaimer policy here.,
August is Peach month.
I remember the peaches from my grandmother’s back yard. We would eat some off the tree but we were nuch more interested in what Grandmother W. would do with the peaches.
She would make preserves, pie, and cobbler. The cobbler was the star — I can still taste it now.
But she really didn’t incorporate the peaches into our everyday meals.
I think we missed out!
This little peach compote recipe can be used a variety of ways…
This quick and easy savory peach compote is as versatile as it is delicious. Try it as a sandwich spread or as a flavorful sauce for chicken, pork, or fish dishes. For best results, prepare this recipe 1-2 days in advance to give the flavors a chance to develop fully.
Savory Peach Compote
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 large garlic cloves finely minced
- ½ c. red onion finely chopped (about ½ medium)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 t. dried rosemary
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 – ¼ t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 4 large rice peaches diced (approximately 4 heaping cups)
- 3 T. honey preferably local
- 2 T. water
- Add olive oil, garlic, and red onion to a large saucepan set over medium heat. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Add the rosemary, cinnamon, and crushed red pepper flakes to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion softens and the spices become very fragrant approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, peaches, honey, and water to the skillet and stir to combine. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a rapid boil. Immediately reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the peaches are soft and the mixture starts to thicken approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool for several minutes. Working in batches if necessary, transfer the warm peach mixture to a blender and quickly pulse for a few seconds just until blended, but not completely smooth.
- Use immediately or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 to 4 days. Enjoy!
Loving Life — The Reboot!