Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Some of the links below are affiliate links meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you purchase something using the link. Read the full disclaimer policy here.
I can’t believe that it is September already! This year has really flown (and many say Thankfully! to that) But hopefully, September will show us a little mercy. At least, it’s a busy month for Food themes!
It’s National Mushroom Month and National Rice Month. There are many more themes for this month — several of which I will be discussing throughout the month. My first recipe for the month – Instant Pot® Rustic Mushroom Rice – incorporates both themes into one tasty recipe.
Mushrooms were not a common ingredient in my childhood home. I have gotten a bit more adventurous as an adult but we definitely pick our spots.
This is a good spot.
It’s also a great fall/winter recipe as well. While I love warm weather, I always enjoy hearty foods and warm your insides. This is one of those…
Instant Pot® Rustic Mushroom Rice
- pressure cooker
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 T. unsalted butter divided
- 2 small yellow onions diced
- 1 t. garlic powder divided
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 oz. Portobello mushrooms sliced
- ¼ c. Marsala wine
- 1 T. fresh thyme or ¾ t. dried
- 1 c. chicken or vegetable broth divided
- 1 c. long-grain brown rice rinsed and drained
- 2 T. green onion finely chopped
- 2 T. fresh parsley finely chopped
- Select the “Sauté” function and the “high” setting on the Instant Pot®. Add olive oil and one tablespoon butter. Add onions and half the garlic powder. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and season with remaining garlic powder, and additional salt and black pepper, if desired. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are golden brown and start to release their liquids, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the Marsala wine and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally until the wine is reduced by half and the strong aroma dissipates approximately 4-5 minutes. Transfer sautéed mushrooms and onions to a bowl and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of butter and one-quarter cup chicken broth to the Instant Pot®. Gently scrape up any browned bits off the bottom with a wooden spoon.
- Add the rice and toast, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the remaining broth and stir to combine. Cover and lock lid into place. Set the valve to “Sealing” and select the “Manual” and “High Pressure” settings. Adjust cook time to 22 minutes.
- Once cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Add the mushroom mixture and the remaining butter to the Instant Pot®. Add the green onion and parsley and stir to combine.
- Turn off the Instant Pot® and transfer the rice to a serving dish. Serve immediately with your choice of entrees. Enjoy!
Tip: If using fresh thyme, be sure to remove any woody stems before serving.
Want another option for a quick mushroom dish? Try this Mushroom Cream Soup.
I will post more recipes related to the various food themes this month. Enjoy!
Loving Life — The Reboot!