It’s Day 7 of our 30 Days Blessed This Christmas Blogging and Social Media Challenge. How are you feeling about your blessings today?
Hopefully, you won’t feel preached to or “talked at” while reading these words. They’re meant to be a gentle nudge toward expanded consciousness and a way to open the door to positive people and opportunities.
Do you ever feel as though life is an all-uphill battle, with no relief in sight?
Some Days May Be Harder…
Truth is, some days may be harder than others to allow a feeling of gratitude to permeate out being. But it’s okay to honor these feelings that we all have from time to time.
- It can be a challenge to make yourself feel grateful when you’ve just had a terrible argument with your spouse and you went to bed feeling misunderstood, shut out, angry, and hurt.
- And it can be a challenge to feel grateful when it seems like you give endlessly to your children but all they do is take you for granted and ask you for more.
- It can be a challenge to feel grateful when the bills are late or you didn’t get that promotion at work or your mother’s been diagnosed with a serious illness.
But the thing about counting your blessings is… you aren’t expected to force it. In fact, that’s the worst way to bring about a positive mindset.
Acknowledge the Tough Times
When you bury difficult feelings or refuse to acknowledge disappointment, these things come up to rear their ugly heads in more passive aggressive way that can hurt our relationships.
So, be honest that not every day feels like a day to be grateful, and that’s okay.
But once you get past those life hurdles and tough situations… you can reflect on the past and appreciate the good that remains.
- Maybe you and your spouse had a difficult month… but it caused you to seek counseling, and that’s brought you closer to one another.
- Maybe you haven’t felt respected by your kids for a while… but now they are becoming more independent, struggling through their own challenges. And they’ve grown to recognize all that you do for them.
- Maybe you didn’t get that promotion. But now you’re inspired to begin building your own business doing what you love.
Exercise 7: What Good Has Come of Your Hard Times?
Life challenges help us grow and master tough lessons. Without them, we would remain stagnant in our development and child-like in our minds.
Wisdom keeps us from making the same mistakes over and over. For this alone, we might decide to feel grateful.
Think about a recent setback or disappointment that you experienced.
How did this experience, though initially discouraging, show you the light of goodness in your life?
What were you able to appreciate once the difficult time passed?
Take some time out of your busy days to write and reflect. Perhaps first thing in the morning is a perfect moment for you to capture your thoughts. Or maybe a late afternoon respite will allow you to express yourself on paper.
Write about a situation that you persevered through despite its challenges.
- How did you feel?
- What actions did you take to improve your condition?
- Afterward, what did you learn?
- What were you able to have an appreciation for that you may have taken for granted prior to this period of growth?
30 Days Blessed Challenge
- Day 1: Attitude of Gratitude
- Day 2: Accentuate the Positive
- Day 3: Slow Down
- Day 4: What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger
- Day 5: A Cup of Self-Reflection
- Day 6: Give Thanks for the Simple Things
Loving Life — The Reboot!