On the last day of our Attitude for Gratitude Challenge, we will simply appreciate our friends.
What is it about certain people that makes you want to have them as a friend?
Do you keep a “collection” of people that you enjoy adding to as you go forth and experience life?
Much like a coin collection, you’ll want to hang onto people who provide value for you.
Since everybody is different, that value could really be anything you want it to be.
Often, we become friends with people based on shared special interests. It’s way better to attend a Pink Floyd cover band concert with your good ole friends, than someone whom you barely know or worse, a family member who’s currently sporting an attitude!
Many people kick off new friendships by discovering the common interests they have with someone else.
Then, they take it a step further by offering personal details and sharing their stories with this new friend.
When someone listens to your stories without judging you, that’s a friend to be thankful for.
When someone hears you confess to a bad deed or poorly-made decision but doesn’t judge, rat you out or spread your story to others… that’s a friend to be thankful for, too!
Exercise 30: Show Your Friends Some Love This Holiday Season.
Do you know who your real friends are? How do you know?
A friend builds up your self-confidence. True friends will be honest with you while at the same time speaking to you in a tactful and kind way.
A friend will help you look on the bright side. A good friend will offer you honesty, and be open to honest thoughts and opinions from you.
A friend doesn’t play mind games, tell fictitious stories about you, or otherwise try to make you feel less-than.
Here’s a fun activity if you’re looking to show appreciation for friends.
Most people reserve Christmas get-togethers for family.
But what about a Christmas Gathering for Friends? Recognizing that most gatherings this year were limited or virtual, this consideration can be for the future when things are closer to normal.
Perhaps next year, you can host it over the long winter holiday, or have your friends over for a Christmas or Holiday celebration, early in the season. Or if we are still in the midst of a pandemic, these gatherings can be Zoom group gatherings. It may also be possible to have a small group outside with appropriate social distancing and masking to be safe.
Friends’ Christmas needn’t involve gifts. The gift of presence is enough for all!
Write down all the things that you love about your friends.
Write down some fun and festive ways to celebrate your greatest friendships this Thanksgiving season.
Put your plans into action. Host an amazing, friend-full event. Raise a glass to those folks in your life who laugh with you, cry with you, come to your rescue in times of need, listen to your stories, and make you feel all-around awesome to be alive.
Cheers to the best of friendships!
30 Days Blessed Challenge
- Day 1: Attitude of Gratitude
- Day 2: Accentuate the Positive
- Day 3: Slow Down
- Day 4: What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger
- Day 5: A Cup of Self-Reflection
- Day 6: Give Thanks for the Simple Things
- Day 7: Hard Times Help Us Appreciate the Good
- Day 8: Nourish Your Soul
- Day 9: Surprise Gifts
- Day 10: Celebrating the “Moments between the Moments”
- Day 11: Take Your Cue from a Child
- Day 12: Appreciating the Wisdom of Our Elders
- Day 13: Grateful for Your Family in All Their Beautiful Imperfection
- Day 14: Commune With Nature
- Day 15: Grateful for Your Powerful, Miraculous Body
- Day 16: Grateful for Your Powerful, Amazing Mind
- Day 17. People with Special Needs Remind of What’s Really Important
- Day 18: Grateful for Creature Comforts
- Day 19: Honoring Your Mother and Father
- Day 20: Challenge Yourself to Live in the Present
- Day 21: Ode to the Bountiful Harvest
- Day 22: Be Thankful for Friends Near and Far
- Day 23. Happy About Your Life’s Work
- Day 24. Celebrating Beautiful Differences
- Day 25: Appreciation for Other Cultures
- Day 26: Beautiful Music Makes Life Worth Living
- Day 27: Your Inner Child is Calling
- Day 28: In Awe of Our Precious Planet
- Day 29: Heart and Home
Loving Life — The Reboot!