Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Some of the links below are affiliate links meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you purchase something using the link. Read the full disclaimer policy here.
It’s all about veggies today!
The month of June is National Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Month. And today–June 17– is National Eat Your Vegetables Day.
This recipe is perfect for celebrating both days!
Spinach and Broccoli Lasagna
This vegetable lasagna is a delicious option for Meatless Monday. The broccoli and spinach complement each other perfectly. This green version is a delightful change from traditional vegetable lasagna, but feel free to add in other vegetables such as shredded carrots or red pepper for color if you desire.
Tip; Broccoli should be cooked just tender-crisp. Spinach should be sautéed just until wilted. It will continue to cook in the oven.
Spinach & Broccoli Lasagna
- 2 T. Butter
- 3 T. Flour
- 3 C. Milk
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 t. Nutmeg freshly grated preferred
- 20 oz. Fresh Baby Spinach chopped
- 2 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 10 oz. Broccoli cut into pieces and florets
- 12 Oven-Ready Lasagna Noodles such as Barilla
- 1 C. Ricotta Cheese
- 2 C. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 C. Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle with flour and whisk into butter until smooth. Continue stirring and cook 5-7 minutes or until roux turns a light golden color.
- Increase heat to medium-high and slowly whisk in milk until thickened and combined. Gently simmer over medium-low heat 10-20 minutes until raw flour taste has disappeared and a smooth sauce results at desired thickness.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- In a very large skillet, heat olive oil. Add spinach and continue to toss and stir until wilted. Do not overcook. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add broccoli and cook 2-3 minutes until just tender-crisp. Do not overcook. Drain broccoli in colander and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Chop broccoli into rustic chunks. add spinach and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a light layer of bechamel sauce to the bottom of a 9×13” casserole dish.
- Next, add a layer of the spinach-broccoli mixture, followed by 3 lasagna noodles.
- Top the noodles with a layer of bechamel sauce, spinach-broccoli mixture, ricotta, and mozzarella. Add 3 more noodles and repeat the layers as before finishing with mozzarella.
- Bake uncovered 20 minutes. Serve with a fresh green salad and freshly grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Loving Life — The Reboot!