Hello! I hope everyone is doing well as we near the end of the year. Looking forward to seeing the back of 2020 — what a year!
Two birds, one stone!
I love pecans — especially roasting them in the oven, adding a little salt, and munching away. They are the nuts I like the most so when I have the opportunity to have them in a meal, I just have at it!
Here’s the sad part. I remember eating pomegranates as a child — I thought the process of actually eating the fruit was a lot of fun. But once I received my transplant, pomegranate became forbidden fruit. It interacts with my meds (along with grapefruit (booo!) and cranberries (double booo!). So while I love all of these fruits and drinks, I can no longer eat or drink their juices myself.
So I live vicariously through others.
This Orange-Pomegranate Salad is perfect for the season — it may be something that you could incorporate into your Thanksgiving festivities (safely of course!).
This lovely winter salad features gorgeous colors and incredible flavor. Bright red pomegranate arils and vibrant sections of orange whet the appetite with strong visual appeal, while creamy goat cheese and avocado balance the satisfying crunch of the red onion and pecans. A little drizzle of the delicious homemade citrus vinaigrette pulls it all together for a truly satisfying meal.
To make this you need champagne vinegar. Below is a nice suggestions for this recipe (affiliate links):
Orange-Pomegranate Salad with Orange Champagne Vinaigrette
Orange Champagne Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- ¼ c. citrus champagne vinegar
- 1 large clove garlic smashed and peeled
- 2 T. honey preferably local
- 1 t. Dijon mustard
- 1 t. orange zest preferably organic
- ¼ c. orange juice freshly squeezed (approximately 1 large orange)
- ½ c. extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 large pomegranate
- 1 large avocado chopped
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 6 c. mixed salad greens
- ½ medium red onion sliced thin
- 1 large orange sliced, peeled, and separated into bite-sized sections
- 2 oz. goat cheese crumbled
- ¼ c. pecan halves
- To prepare the dressing, add the vinegar, garlic, honey, Dijon mustard, orange zest, and orange juice to a blender or food processor. Blend on high until completely smooth, approximately 1 minute.
- If using a blender or processor with a vented top, slowly drizzle in the olive oil while blending, or add all at once if this isn’t possible. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and blend until thoroughly emulsified. Taste and add additional salt, if desired. Transfer to a serving container and set aside.
- Remove the arils from the pomegranate by slicing off the top and scoring down the sides in between the aril sections with a sharp knife. Carefully pull apart along the score lines and separate the arils from the pith. Place the arils in a small bowl and set aside.
- Coat the avocado with the lemon juice to prevent browning and set aside.
- Arrange the mixed greens on a large serving platter and top with the red onion, orange sections, avocado, and pomegranate arils. Top with the crumbled goat cheese and pecan halves. Drizzle with some of the orange champagne vinaigrette and serve immediately with the remaining dressing on the side. Enjoy!
Loving Life — The Reboot!