Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Some of the links below are affiliate links meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you purchase something using the link. Read the full disclaimer policy here.
I have a special connection to the sandwich. As a child, I grew up eating sandwiches almost every day at school. I took my homemade and packed lunch to school up to around 10th grade.
My lunches were pretty straight forward: a sandwich, bag of chips, some kind of dessert (Little Debbie snack cakes, anyone!), and a piece of fruit. Little variation in the composition of the entire lunch over the years. Little difference in the sandwiches — different luncheon meat and cheese. I was a kid — it was cool!
Today’s Recipe: BLT with Creamy Avocado Spread
Most sandwich “recipes” are actually just templates because there are so many options available in terms of bread, cheese, meat, vegetables, and condiments you can use.
However, when it comes to the much-loved bacon, lettuce, and tomato (BLT), any purist will tell you that there is one “true” way to make and enjoy their beloved sandwich: Super soft white bread, iceberg lettuce, mayonnaise (and lots of it), plus the requisite trifecta of sandwich-y goodness for which it is named.
A little boring? Most definitely. To liven things up a bit, the “recipe” below takes a couple of liberties with this tried-and-true classic. Super soft white bread is swapped out for delicious sourdough, and plain mayonnaise is replaced with a rich and creamy avocado spread.
Read on for details!
BLT with Creamy Avocado Spread
Avocado Spread Ingredients:
- 1 large ripe avocado cut into small chunks
- ½ c. full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 large clove garlic finely minced
- 1½ T. fresh lime juice approximately ½ lime
- 1½ t. ground cumin
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste.
Basic Sandwich Ingredients:
- 6 slices bacon 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 T. unsalted butter melted
- 8 leaves Boston Bibb lettuce
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes preferably red and yellow
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Place the avocado, Greek yogurt, and garlic in a medium bowl and combine thoroughly with a fork, leaving some small chunks of avocado in the mixture. Add the lime juice and cumin, and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir to combine and cover tightly. Set aside.
- Line a microwave-safe plate with paper towels and place the bacon strips on it. Cover the bacon with more paper towels and place in the microwave for 3-4 minutes on high, or until bacon is cooked through, but not too crispy. (Cook time will vary, so check after 2 minutes and adjust the remaining time as needed).
- Brush one side of each piece of bread with the melted butter. Heat grill pan over medium heat and place bread, buttered side down, on the pan. Apply light pressure to each slice with a spatula, being careful not to move the bread in the process. Once nice grill marks have formed, remove from heat and set aside.
- Allow bread to cool slightly, then add avocado spread to 2 of the slices on the non-grilled side. Divide the lettuce, tomato, and cooked bacon slices between the two sandwiches and top each with the remaining pieces of grilled bread. Cut in half and serve immediately with your favorite side dish or potato chips. Enjoy!
Tip: If possible, prepare the avocado spread in advance to give the flavors a chance to develop. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired, before using.
Loving Life — The Reboot!