Some of the links below are affiliate links meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you purchase something using the link. Read the full disclaimer policy here.,
My goals were to start the month off right with this roasted tomato soup recipe. But fate had other plans. It’s been a weird 12 hours!
First… Site Drama!
Because of everything going on in all of our lives, I was behind on getting this post up. I finally sat down at my computer and decided to update some plugins. Down went 2 of my sites! EEK!
I couldn’t get into the site dashboards or anything. So, I had to talk to my hosting service to get some help. It took a while. Luckily, they have a rewind service that overwrote my sites with info from a time before the updates. The error logs didn’t clarify anything (to me) either — there seemed to be nonspecific errors that took the sites down.
The sites are back up now. I updated WordPress and all the other updates — all but one. It’s the only one that completely updated yesterday right before my sites went down. I wonder if it’s the culprit. I am not sure I want to try to update it again today.
With that dealt with, I need to get back on schedule. Here is my late post on Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons for today…
It’s a little like early spring today around here (kind of brisk) so a nice soup is in order. On top of that, it’s National Sourdough Bread Day (April 1st) and Grilled Cheese Month (all April)!
This is perfect!
Sourdough grilled cheese croutons along with roasted tomato soup? I have been a fan of tomato soup with grilled cheese since I was a child. Sadly, neither of my kids feel the same way. So, I enjoy this meal alone (husband is not a fan either…)
Maybe you can enjoy it with me…
Slow roasting tomatoes brings out their natural sweetness. However, the browning that occurs during this process will create a darker soup than using raw tomatoes.
You can also experiment with your grilled cheese croutons — use a different cheese if you want!
Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
- Soup Ingredients:
- 2 lbs. ripe yellow or red tomatoes cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 T. garlic powder
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 slices sourdough bread crusts removed
- 2 T. unsalted butter melted
- ½ c. chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/3 c. fresh basil roughly chopped, plus additional sprigs for garnish
- 1 medium yellow onion quartered
- 2 large stalks celery roughly chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic peeled
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 3 T. heavy whipping cream room temperature
- 3 oz. Brie cheese crust removed, cut into thin slices
- Preheat oven to 300ºF and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat™ baking sheet.
- Arrange sliced tomatoes on the prepared baking sheet without overcrowding. Sprinkle with garlic powder, and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place baking sheet in preheated oven and roast approximately 2 hours or until the tomatoes are browned around the edges.
- When the tomatoes are almost ready, cut each slice of sourdough bread into equal-sized rectangles and brush one side with melted butter. Place buttered side down on a grill pan set over medium heat. Once grill marks appear, remove from heat and flip each piece of sourdough over so the grill marks are facing up. Set aside.
- Remove tomatoes from the oven and transfer to a high-powered blender or food processor, along with the broth, basil, yellow onion, celery, garlic, cumin, and heavy cream. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Blend on high until smooth and thoroughly combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. If desired, add additional broth or water, one tablespoon at a time, and re-blend to achieve desired consistency. Set aside.
- Place top oven rack on the second-highest position and pre-heat the broiler to high.
- Top each slice of grilled bread with a piece of sliced Brie and place the grill pan under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, or until the Brie is soft and just starting to melt. Don’t broil too long or the Brie will run off the bread base.
- To serve, transfer the hot soup to individual serving bowls and top with the grilled cheese croutons and a sprig of fresh basil if desired. Enjoy!
Loving Life — The Reboot!