Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Some of the links below are affiliate links meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you purchase something using the link. Read the full disclaimer policy here.
One more recipe for National Garlic Month. Roasted Garlic Hummus…
When I was a child, I did not care much about garlic. My family didn’t use it all that much in their cooking so I really wasn’t exposed to the flavor that much.
I didn’t eat much in college either.
But by the time I got to medical school, I was in love. I had developed a taste for garlic at that point. I think it was because I was exposed to a lot of different cuisines as I got older.
As for this recipe, I always add extra cloves to each garlic recipe I make. It’s never enough!
And roasted garlic? The smell, the taste — it’s hard to explain how cool roasted garlic is!
ProTip: To save time, roast the garlic in advance while preparing other roasted vegetables or dishes in the oven. Roasted garlic can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container covered in olive oil for up to one week.
Roasted Garlic Hummus
- food processor or blender
- 1 large head garlic
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil divided
- 115- oz. can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 3 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 c. tahini
- 3 T. water
- 1 t. ground cumin
- ½ t. cayenne pepper
- Sea salt to taste
- To serve:
- Fresh vegetables: Tomatoes cucumbers, carrots, and/or celery
- Kalamata olives
- High-quality extra virgin olive oil
- Smoked paprika for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut the top off garlic head and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil. Wrap in aluminum foil and place in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Add remaining olive oil, chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, water, ground cumin, and cayenne pepper to a blender or food processor. Once cool, remove roasted garlic cloves from the outer skin and add them to the container.
- Season with sea salt, to taste, and blend until smooth. Add more water, if necessary, to achieve desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
- Transfer to a serving dish and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of smoked paprika. Serve immediately with fresh vegetables and Kalamata olives. Enjoy!
Roasting the garlic in your roasted garlic hummus recipe adds another depth of flavor over regular hummus, This makes a great appetizer or snack.
Go for it!
Loving Life — The Reboot!