Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Some of the links below are affiliate links meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you purchase something using the link. Read the full disclaimer policy here.
As we get into the holiday season, we start getting ready for the crush of desserts that will be coming our way during the season.
One popular dessert during this time of year is apple pie. Here is another entrant for National Dessert Month — apple pie a la mode.
My paternal grandmother made apple pies (and cobblers but that’s story for another day) a lot. I remember watching her — no measurements needed there — and hoping that I could make things that tasted as good as her baking.
I think we are getting there…
The recipe for No Churn Vanilla Ice Cream included in this post as well.
Apple Pie a la Mode
Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1¼ c. vegetable shortening
- 7-12 T. ice-cold water
Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 6 c. peeled and sliced apples
- 2/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 t. ground nutmeg
- 2 T. unsalted butter cut into 4 or 5 pieces
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
- To prepare pie crust, add flour, salt, and vegetable shortening to a large bowl and mix with a hand mixer. Gradually add ice-cold water until the dough binds together and can form a ball. Place in the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add sliced apples, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a large bowl and toss gently to combine.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide it into 2 even sections. Roll out each piece of dough into a 10-11 inch diameter for a 9-inch pie.
- Line a 9-inch pie pan with one of the crusts. Transfer the apple filling to the pie crust.
- Place top crust over the pie and crimp the edges together. Cut 4-5 vents into the top crust with a sharp knife and place a small piece of butter in each. Cover edges with foil or a pie crust protector to prevent over-browning.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450°F. Reduce temperature to 350°F and continue baking for another 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving with some No Churn Vanilla Ice Cream, if desired. Enjoy!
Here is the recipe for No Churn Vamilla Ice Cream.
No Churn Vanilla Ice Cream
- bread pan
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
Optional to serve:
- Whipped cream, maraschino cherries, chopped nuts, or favorite choice of toppings
- Cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and carefully scrape out the seeds with a sharp knife. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream at high speed until stiff peaks form. Add the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla bean seeds and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a bread pan or freezer-safe container. Cover and freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
- To serve, remove from freezer and let soften for a few minutes before transferring to individual serving bowls. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes in the comments!
Loving Life — The Reboot!