Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Some of the links below are affiliate links meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you purchase something using the link. Read the full disclaimer policy here.
August 10th is National S’Mores Day!
When I think of s’mores, I think back to firepits or BBQ grills in the backyard — we didn’t camp all that much — when all of our family was around. We would make s’mores at the end of the day — good memories!
It is said that the word s’mores are a contraction of the phrase “some more”. The origin is still unclear, but some reports suggest that the recipe was developed as early as 1925. The s’more word was officially found on the Merriam-Webster in 1974 and was said to be born during night camps, specifically made by some Girl Scouts way back. I remember making them as a Girl Scout as well!
As the recipe evolved, many variations were developed. The big chocolate companies have also created their own versions, but they are not traditionally heated when served.
Today, we will be showing you a way to satisfy your s’mores cravings. You may not have a campfire handy but may really want a taste of warm graham cracker, chocolate, and marshmallow any time of the day. There are two versions here — the classic one with 2 graham crackers like a sandwich and one that is more like a cookie — a little dressier if you will! Both use your oven
This is the basic s’mores recipes in the oven!
Graham S’mores Sandwiches
- 4 several big marshmallows
- 8 several pieces of Graham Crackers
- 4 a block of unsweetened chocolate bar
- Place the square graham cracker pieces on the cookie sheet. Ensure proper spacing for this to maintain the equal distribution of heat inside the oven.
- Cut the chocolate block into smaller pieces. Make sure that the chocolate pieces are almost the same size as the marshmallow.
- Place the chocolate pieces on top of each graham cracker.
- Place the marshmallows on top of the chocolate afterwards. Be careful in placing each marshmallow since there is a possibility that the mallows will roll on the sides.
- Set the oven to 400 degrees and place the cookie sheet inside. Set the timer to roughly 5 minutes. The marshmallows should be at least brownish before removing them from the oven. The duration of baking will depend on the type of marshmallow used and the type of chocolate used. Each type of marshmallow and chocolate has different melting points, so make sure to observe this every minute.
- Remove the cooked s’more pieces from the oven and immediately place another piece of graham cracker on top of the marshmallows.
This version is a little more formal — if a s’more can be formal?
Quick And Easy S’mores Cookies
- several pieces of big marshmallows
- several pieces of Graham Crackers
- a block of unsweetened chocolate bar
- Cut the marshmallows in half.
- Place the square Graham crackers on a cookie sheet and place them in the middle of the oven. Maintain proper spacing for this.
- Place the marshmallows in the middle of the square Graham crackers.
- Cut small squares of chocolate from the big block of unsweetened chocolate. Make sure that the size of the chocolate is almost near the size of the marshmallows.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the oven plate with Graham crackers and marshmallows inside the heated oven. Set the timer for 4 to 6 minutes. Make sure that the marshmallows are light brown to beige before removing them from the oven.
- While waiting for the Graham crackers and marshmallows to set in, grab a piece of Graham cracker and pulverize it using your clean and bare hands. Or use a plastic zipper bag to crush the graham cracker.
- Press the chocolate squares on top of the marshmallows. It is better if the marshmallows are still hot and fresh from the oven so that the chocolate would partially melt.
- Sprinkle powdered graham crackers on top of the chocolate squares.
Do you ever try different variations on your s’mores? Here are some suggestions for things to try…
- Change Up Your Graham Cracker game
You can use chocolate graham crackers instead of honey graham crackers. Other options: Fudge Stripes Cookies, Ritz Crackers, Chocolate Chip Cookies or any cookie you love, Pretzel Crisps
- Up Your Chocolate Game:
Instead of the standard milk chocolate, you can substitute dark chocolate, Other options: Nutella, Reece’s Peanut Butter cups, Peppermint Patties, Andes Mints, Rollos Candy
- What about the Marshmallows?
You can vary your marshmallow flavors to find new and different taste sensations too. Try a chocolate or vanilla marshmallow. Or you can try flavored specialty marshmallows for your s’mores
- Add Ins:
You can add an additional flavor element to kick up your s’mores — these options may work better with the classic version of the treat but you can experiment to see how it works for you. You can add a slice of fruit like strawberries or peaches. Other options: A scoop of jam, peanut butter — separate or together, caramel sauce
These s’mores will definitely please your taste buds. If you make any of the variations, please share in the comments! Enjoy and Happy National S’mores Day!
Loving Life — The Reboot!