Day 10 of the Slow Cooker Challenger…
At one point, beef stew meant multiple pots and a good chunk of the day hanging in the kitchen. Crockpots have made it easier to make this dish. And you can have some variety here too — add other vegetables like carrots or potatoes if you want!
It’s how we stew in the South…
Southern Slow Cooked Beef Stew
- 1 lb. beef stew meat
- 1 can 15 oz diced tomatoes with garlic
- 2 cups kale cleaned and chopped
- 1 can 15 oz black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 TBSP oil for frying
- Put salt, pepper, and flour in a paper bag, add beef and shake to combine.
- Heat oil in cast iron pan over medium heat, then add the beef and brown quickly. Remove beef from the skillet with a slotted spoon to crockpot.
- In the same skillet over low heat add can of diced tomatoes and stir to get browned bits from skillet.
- To crockpot, add kale and black-eyed peas then pour the mixture from the skillet over all.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours until beef is nice and tender.
If you want the recipes from this month in your mailbox, sign up here: Slow Cooker Challenge
Loving Life — The Reboot!