Some of the links below are affiliate links meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you purchase something using the link. Read the full disclaimer policy here.,
Happy National Watermelon Day!
I grew up eating watermelon at my grandmother’s house during the summer. My family would buy one a couple of times a week — there were quite a few of us plowing through the watermelon.
My cousins and I would spit the seeds out like machine gun bullets — this was before the rise in the seedless watermelon. Yes, I used t be good at spitting out seeds and making it entertaining.
Now if I find a seed in my seedless watermelon, it’s horrible. I have gotten spoiled in my old age.
But seedless watermelon does have its benefits. Like in this recipe Watermelon with Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette.
Talk about the perfect hot weather combination! Watermelon and feta cheese make such a perfect pair. The saltiness of the feta is the perfect complement for the inherent sweetness of the watermelon. When paired with the peppery taste of fresh arugula and the tangy goodness of a homemade lime-cilantro vinaigrette, you’ve got an incredible taste sensation that is sure to become a summer favorite.
Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette
- 1 small round seedless watermelon cut in half with flesh removed
- 3 oz. feta cheese cut into evenly sized pieces
- 3 cups fresh arugula cleaned and dried
Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
- 3 T. fresh cilantro washed, dried and chopped into small pieces
- 3 T. grapeseed oil
- 1 t. Dijon mustard
- 1 T honey
- 2 t. ground cumin
- 2 t. sea salt
- ½ t. pepper
- If possible, make the lime-cilantro vinaigrette in advance to give the flavors a chance to meld. Combine all ingredients in a small glass bowl and whisk to combine thoroughly. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Cut the small watermelon in half, then remove and reserve flesh in a glass bowl. Pat the inside of each empty watermelon rind with a paper towel to dry. Set aside to use as serving bowls for the finished salad.
- Add feta and washed arugula to a glass bowl along with the watermelon. Top with vinaigrette and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To serve, add watermelon feta mixture to reserved watermelon rinds and garnish with sprigs of fresh cilantro.
Remember if you are serving more people this watermelon and feta salad than you have watermelon halves, use a different delivery system like bowls or salad plates.
Give this salad a try and share your pics in the comments!
Loving Life — The Reboot!